Touch Screen devices — and touch screen gloves — are great for their convenience.
But as riders, we know that our electronics are not always going to be useful. The Coast Guard has a motto: ALWAYS READY … and the Scouts say “BE PREPARED” …
Always be ready for that moment when your touch screen is not going to be there for you.
Think about these possible situations before starting your engine.
Don’t assume you’ll be able to call for help in an emergency or use your GPS.
To make sure you don’t find yourself in a bad predicament on the road, do a check:
1. Make sure your Smart Phone and/or GPS is charged.
2. Plan for when you don’t have cell service or GPS.
Depending on where you ride the signal between your phone and the cell site can be weak or non-existent due to certain structures blocking you, so be prepared for “dead zones”.
- Make sure you have ample amount of fuel in your gas tank before finding the next filling station. Never go below 1/4 tank.
- Carry an old school paper road map in your gear bag.
3. If you are crossing the border (in or out of Canada or Mexico, or planning to ride in any foreign country): Make sure you have updated maps uploaded onto your device.
I actually found myself in this situation not long ago. My GPS was U.S. only! Check out GPS service in the area you will be riding before your trip.
4. Pay attention on the road! … Perhaps this should have been #1 on our list.
Wait to check or send a message or program your GPS until you are at a stop.
There are enough distracted cagers on the road, driving and texting … lets not add distracted motorcycle riders as well!
Touch Screen Gloves: Enjoy the Benefits, But Plan for When Technology Fails
If you have a story about riding and technology, we’d like to know. Leave a comment!
Our newest Touch Screen gloves are great lined leather gloves for touring and commuting, If you happen to need a pair. Whether or not you use electronic devices, they are nice comfortable lightweight riding gloves
We have lots of other touchscreen styles besides. For a limited time, the new style has FREE SHIPPING … so check them out.