Women's Motorcycle Gloves: How To Choose The Right Glove
by ROGER HEUMANN on Aug 20, 2021
A discussion on our Facebook page pointed out just how frustrating it can be for woman riders to find the right gear.
It’s 2015 …
… but women STILL have trouble finding what they need.
What’s a rider to do?
What Women Riders Want: Fit and Performance is Key
Here’s what we hear from riders:
– Most important is protection. Women riders don’t have to have had an accident to know how important it is to protect hands. Even if we haven’t had that experience personally, we all know someone who has.
– Next comes fit and comfort. Women riders do best with gloves specifically designed to fit a woman’s hand, not scaled down versions of a man’s gloves.
- Here is a related post, about glove fit guidelines for women riders
Sure, some women want to coordinate gloves to their gear, but not all women wear pink! Lots of us wear black white, gray, and hi-viz green.
Why Some Women’s Motorcycle Gear Gets an “F” for Frustrating
In the discussion on our Facebook page, we also heard some real frustration on the part of women’s riders whose needs for head-to-toe gear are still not being served.
The fit issue. A woman rider who is 5’10” with an athletic build has completely different fit issues than a 5’1″ woman with more of a bust and hips.
- One woman rider has her gear custom-made …an extreme solution, perhaps, but she rides year round and works in the industry, so for her it makes sense.
- Another has a tailor address her particular fit issues after purchase … a practical and smart solution, apparently born of necessity.
May we respectfully suggest:
- Check out the gear over at Olympia Moto Sports – A company owned by a woman rider who also oversees design… they completely get it.
- Continue to let manufacturers know what you need, and like … as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Then, there’s the economics: a dealer explained the economics of the industry.
- Since 90% of riders are male, it further limits choices. (Happily, the number of women riders is growing!)
Women’s Motorcycle Gloves: Choosing the Correct Glove For YOU
Now … how to choose a women’s glove, both for the weather and the way you ride?
- We all ride differently. Some women are into touring, others track days. Some are year-round riders, some put the bike away in winter.
- There are so many choices and price points and features … winter gloves, summer gloves waterproof gloves, gel palm gloves, armored gloves, gore-tex gloves, and many others.
The best way to shop for gloves is to look for the functional details that fit the way YOU ride.
- Refer to our glove buyers guide for information on all the technical features and materials used, what to look for, and how to make a smart choice.
- Take a look at our women’s motorcycle glove line, with 10 women’s glove styles for a wide range of needs.
What Other RIder’s Say
More important that what a company says about itself is what other riders say. For instance:
Thank you for writing us and for being “Olympia loyal”, Elaine! Getting feedback from riders helps us know what we are doing right … and where we need to improve.
For instance, separately, Elaine raised a question about the use of gel on heated grips, which we are now researching.
Our goal is making gloves that fit and protect your hands, year round … and gloves that last when put to the test.
If YOU have any comments about what you’ve yet to find in a glove or questions about gloves, leave a comment or a glove review … we’re listening!
Happy Trails … Ride Safe!
PHOTO CREDIT: Elaine Marie